“Without volunteers, the Y wouldn’t be the same; they’re the heart and soul of our organization and without their hard work, dedication and selflessness we couldn’t do the work we do every day to help kids, families and communities thrive,” said Krystal R. Canady, CEO,
The Gateway Family YMCA. “By bringing people together from all walks of life around a shared purpose to do good, the Y is creating a stronger, more cohesive community.”
As one of the leading nonprofits and volunteer organizations in the country, nearly 600,000 people volunteer at the Y each year and here in Eastern Union County and Northern Middlesex County YMCA volunteers give back through activities such as mentoring teens, coaching youth sports, serving on our boards and spearheading fundraising drives. These opportunities also help volunteers enhance their personal well-being and develop meaningful relationships – all while making an impact in communities they care about.
At The Gateway Family YMCA, through the TOGETHERHOOD® program, volunteers helped provide food for the hungry, clean local parks and pathways, created inter-generational opportunities to share and supported our emergency housing programs. Many more opportunities exist for others to help make a difference.
National Volunteer Week is a great time to get involved and give back. Here are five ways individuals can take an active role at the Y and in their community:
- Join the TOGETHERHOOD® member-led volunteer program at your local YMCA branch
- Help with Y fundraising efforts to ensure those in need can access essential programs and services to reach their full potential
- Get involved with a Y mentoring or tutoring program to help youth learn new skills, build confidence and achieve their goals
- Coach a sports team, teach a class or ask Y staff about other ways to get involved with a program of interest
- Invite friends and neighbors to join you in contributing to a stronger community
To learn more about volunteer opportunities at the The Gateway Family YMCA visit www.tgfymca.org or contact the Membership Engagement Director at the Elizabeth Branch (908) 355-9622, Five Points Branch (908) 688-9622, Rahway Branch (732) 388-0057 or Wellness Center Branch (908) 349-9622.