WHAT TO EXPECT
We’re OPEN! We’re here to help you focus on what matters most: Your health, your family and friends, and your community.
We’ve been carefully reopening our facilities and reactivating key programs in the safest manner possible, so you can access the services and support you miss and need the most. We’re doing everything possible to ensure our facilities meet the highest standards for health and safety, and we have modified our procedures, programs and facilities to promote safe social distancing practices.
We are keeping the health and safety of our members and staff at the forefront of all decisions. Therefore, we have made adjustments within our facility and to our guidelines for use based on guidance from the Governor’s office and the local health department. Our Y is reopening slowly and in phases, while continuing to provide virtual and essential services. Please continue to monitor our website and mobile app as changes occur, and sign up for email updates.
We are one Y – All members of The Gateway Family YMCA are welcome to utilize the branches, programs and services that are open and operating during each phase of our reopening plan. For updated program schedules, please monitor our Virtual Wellness Page, Schedule Page or Mobile App.
Learn more about our cleaning and safety guidelines below.
WELCOME TO THE YMCA
We’re following guidance from health experts and local officials to determine the safest way to serve everyone in our community. The information below is subject to change at any time, as new information, guidelines and resources become available.
- Health Screening: All Staff, Members and Vendors (Everyone visiting our facilities) are required to have their temperature taken and will be asked Health Screening Questions upon entry to the facility.
- Health Screening Questions: (If you answer Yes to any question, please stay home)
- Have you been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19?
- Are you experiencing a cough, shortness of breath or sore throat?
- Have you had a fever in the last 72 hours?
- Have you had new loss of taste or smell?
- Have you vomited or diarrhea in the last 24 hours?
- Have you visited a hotspot state in the last 14 days?
- All Staff, Members and Vendors will be required to wash and/or sanitize hands upon entry to the building.
- All Staff, Members, Vendors and Children over the age of 2 will be required to wear a face covering/mask at all times. Y staff will be wearing face covering/masks, but know that we are smiling from ear to ear because we are happy to see you.
- A limited number of participants will be allowed within the facility and within areas of the facility at one time.
- Please follow all directional and safety signage, Y staff directions and all posted guidelines.
- We are putting our Members First – No guests, non-members or nationwide members are permitted at this time.
- We are one Y – All members of The Gateway Family YMCA are welcome to utilize the branches, programs and services that are open and operating during each phase of our reopening plan. An active, Full Privilege Membership is required.
- Reactivate My Membership! If your membership was on hold, please use this form to REACTIVATE MY MEMBERSHIP
- Join the Y! If your membership was cancelled, or you are new to our Y CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE Y
- Communication with our Members and Community is very important to us! Please SIGN UP FOR EMAIL UPDATES
- No Contact Check-in
- Please have your YMCA Membership Card or Mobile App ready to scan as you enter the facility. Check-in will be self-serve; Please pause a moment for Y Staff to acknowledge your access.
- If you have forgotten your Membership Card, please stand where indicated and verbally assist our staff in recording your visit.
- No Contact Member Services
- To limit interaction at our Welcome Center, our Y is practicing a Digital First strategy.
- All registration and payments should be completed online at tgfymca.org.
- Please limit your time at the Welcome Center by calling ahead to ask any questions. If we are busy assisting other members, please leave a message.
THROUGHOUT THE FACILITY
- Social Distancing, minimum of six feet, is required throughout the facility.
- Please follow all directional and safety signage, Y staff directions and all posted guidelines.
- One-way traffic patterns will be utilized whenever possible.
- Members are asked to remain in designated areas. Parts of the facilities will remain closed based on government and health department guidelines, as we move through our phases of reopening.
- High touch areas will be disinfected regularly throughout the day.
- Some equipment will not be available to allow for social distancing and disinfecting procedures.
- Participants must disinfect equipment before and after use.
- Participants must wash/sanitize hands before and after working out.
- Y staff will be stationed throughout the facility to assist with disinfecting equipment and to answer questions regarding new guidelines.
All Staff, Members and Vendors who are unwilling to comply with the Y’s COVID transmission prevention measures will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
To ensure members’ health and safety, as well as enjoyment of our facilities, we will continue to review and update these guidelines regularly to remain in line with federal, state and local guidelines.
Our YMCA is currently in PHASE ONE of our reopening plan, with the strongest safety procedures for social/physical distancing and individual activities.
Members who placed their membership on Temporary Hold were reactivated as of August 6, 2020. Please check your email for important communications from the Y.
All members of The Gateway Family YMCA are welcome to utilize the branches, programs and services that are open and operating during each phase of our reopening plan. Information below will be updated as information changes, please check back often and SIGN UP FOR EMAIL UPDATES
OUR INTENTION IS TO PROVIDE
- Housing and Social Services will continue to be provided 24 hours/day through the Elizabeth Branch and Dudley House Veterans Transitional Housing Program in Plainfield, NJ. For those in need of emergency shelter, please contact NJ 2-1-1. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED HOUSING & SOCIAL SERVICES INFORMATION
- Virtual Programs and Services through YOUR VIRTUAL YMCA, including LIVE Group Exercise Programs, Chronic Disease Programs, Enrichment Activities, Youth Wellness Programs, Virtual Summer Camp and Virtual WISE Services Program will continue to be provided. All Active Full and Virtual Members are eligible to participate in Virtual Programs and Services. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED VIRTUAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
- Virtual Y in My Account provides ON DEMAND access to The Gateway Family YMCA recorded Group Exercise Programs, as well as additional recorded program content for Full Privilege Members only. CLICK HERE TO ACCESS VIRTUAL Y
- Virtual WISE Center Program is available, with online registration required for this monthly program for members and caregivers. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED VIRTUAL WISE CENTER PROGRAM INFORMATION The WISE Center Branch will continue to provide Virtual services at this time, due to the vulnerable population served.
- Outdoor Group Exercise Programs have been provided in multiple locations throughout our YMCA since early July. Outdoor Group Exercise Programs have been offered at the Elizabeth Branch, Rahway Branch and Wellness Center Branch. All Active Full Privilege Members, Ages 12 & Up are eligible to participate in Outdoor Group Exercise Programs, unless otherwise noted. (Anyone under the age of 18 requires a guardian on premises). Online Registration is Required in Advance, Space is Limited. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED OUTDOOR PROGRAM INFORMATION
- Indoor Group Exercise Programs are available with capacity restrictions at the Rahway Branch and Wellness Center Branch. All Active Full Privilege Members, Ages 12 & Up are eligible to participate, unless otherwise noted. (Anyone under the age of 18 requires a guardian on premises). Online Registration is Required in Advance for most programs, Space is Limited. Registration is no longer required for programs provided in the Rahway Branch Gymnasium. Registration begins each Friday for the upcoming week. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SCHEDULES PAGE
- Child Care Services have been provided since early July, with limited availability at the newly renovated Youth Development Branch, 16-20 Jefferson Avenue in Elizabeth, which is a stand-alone facility providing only child care services. Child Care Services are also being provided, with limited availability at the Five Points Branch. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED CHILD CARE INFORMATION
- Wellness Access or Fitness Center Use is available at the Wellness Center Branch, Elizabeth Branch and Rahway Branch during YMCA Branch Hours. Weight Room Access is available at the Wellness Center Branch and Rahway Branch during YMCA Branch Hours. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED WELLNESS ACCESS INFORMATION
- Adult or Family Lap Swimming is available at the Rahway Branch! The Rahway Branch indoor pool is a 6 lane, 25 yard pool, allowing us to accommodate additional members throughout the day. The pool area has newly installed HVAC system to maintain air quality and comfort. Adult Lap Swimming is open to active full members, ages 12 and up. For those with a Family Membership, all active members on the family membership, ages 12 & up may arrive together and share a lane (only 1 member will register). Online Registration is Required in Advance, Space is Limited. Registration begins each Friday for the upcoming week. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED ADULT LAP SWIMMING INFORMATION
- Family Swimming Reservations are available at the Rahway Branch! The Rahway Branch indoor pool is a 6 lane, 25 yard pool, allowing us to accommodate additional members throughout the day. The pool area has newly installed HVAC system to maintain air quality and comfort. Family Swimming reservations are an exclusive opportunity for active Family Memberships at The Gateway Family YMCA. Online Registration is Required in Advance, Space is Limited. Registration begins each Friday for the upcoming week. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED FAMILY SWIMMING INFORMATION
- Private Swimming Lessons, Swim Team Stroke Clinic, Water Aerobics and Deep Water Exercise programs are available at the Rahway Branch. Register for an upcoming program session HERE.
- Basketball Gymnasium Reservations are available at the Rahway Branch! Basketball Gymnasium Reservations are available for 1 Hoop in the Gymnasium. Individual Basketball Gymnasium Reservations are open to active full members, ages 12 and up. Family Basketball Gymnasium Reservations are available for those with a Family Membership – families must arrive together. Online Registration is Required in Advance, Space is Limited. Registration begins each Friday for the upcoming week. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED BASKETBALL GYMNASIUM RESERVATION INFORMATION
- Before and After School Care 2020/2021 Information: We are closely following the recommendations and subsequent decisions on school re-openings by our state and local officials. Even though before and after school care registration is not open yet, we want families to know that The Gateway Family YMCA will be here to meet the needs of our community. Families can rest assured that if we are allowed to operate and it is safe to do so, children will always have a refuge with us at the YMCA. Please join our email list or CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL CARE INFORMATION
- Virtual Learning Spaces is being provided, with limited availability for ages 5-15. Virtual Learning Spaces provides remote learning support and wrap-around STEAM activities, physical activity, outdoor and indoor recreation and arts programming. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED VIRTUAL LEARNING SPACES INFORMATION
- Summer Day Camp information will be available soon.
- Our YMCA branches are opening in an intentional phased approach, based on government and health department guidelines. All members of The Gateway Family YMCA are welcome to utilize the branches, programs and services that are open and operating during each phase of our reopening plan. We continue to open one branch or program and program at a time, in a planned manner, following the appropriate guidelines. Remaining YMCA Services will reopen in later phases for health and wellness, aquatics and programs.
The Y isn’t a building. It’s people from all backgrounds and walks of life who come together to improve their lives, nurture their families and strengthen our community, together.
The Gateway Family YMCA has served our community for 120 years. We will continue to engage and serve all people where they are, including through virtual opportunities and outreach services for those who continue to practice social distancing and those who need special support during these challenging times.
We’re so happy to welcome you back! Together, we’re a better us.