UPDATE Effective 12/23/21 the City of Elizabeth has enacted an Executive Order requiring masks to be worn inside all buildings in Elizabeth. Members who plan to visit the Elizabeth Branch will be required to wear a mask/face covering at all times inside the Elizabeth Branch.
The Gateway Family YMCA is Here For You! Throughout the Global Covid-19 Pandemic, our Y has remained open to serve our community! Our Y Branches have been providing in-person membership services since July 2020 and virtual services throughout. We have provided 24-hour housing and social services, child care for essential workers and more!
Due to the recent update from the CDC, an increase of Covid cases across our region, and the fact that Union County is now considered a “substantial” transmission area, We STRONGLY RECOMMEND all members of the YMCA, regardless of vaccination status, wear a mask. YMCA Staff continue to wear masks/face coverings. Your safety is our most critical concern. Please be respectful of all.
As you may know, on Monday, May 24th Governor Murphy announced the lifting of the NJ statewide indoor mask mandate for vaccinated individuals and the 6-foot social distancing rule in public spaces. This follows the CDC’s guidance recommending that fully vaccinated individuals no longer need to wear a mask or social distance in any setting.
We know you are eager to return to normalcy, and wanted to provide you with some updates to our policies in alignment with the recent announcements by the State of New Jersey and the CDC:
Outdoor YMCA Group Exercise
Effective Immediately, masks/face coverings are no longer required for members attending Outdoor YMCA Group Exercise programs, regardless of vaccination status.
Indoor YMCA Activities and Programs
As of Friday, May 28th, in accordance with the State and CDC guidelines, mask/face coverings will be optional within the YMCA facility for fully vaccinated members, with the exceptions noted below.
We ask that unvaccinated members over the age of 2, continue to wear a mask/face covering in accordance with the State and CDC guidelines, unless wearing a mask would endanger one’s health, with the exception of while utilizing the pool.
Members who do not feel comfortable going mask free for any reason should continue to wear a mask or face covering. Please be respectful of everyone’s choice at this time.
We encourage all members to consider the use of a mask/face covering at all times when 6-foot social distancing is not possible in any indoor public setting.
Child Care, Summer Camp and Homeless Shelters
Child Care, including Before/After School Care, Summer Camp and Homeless Shelters are not affected by the Governor’s announcement. We continue to follow all State, CDC and Licensing guidelines.
Fully vaccinated is defined by the CDC as:
- 2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
- 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine
This policy is based on our YMCA Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect & Responsibility. We will not require proof of vaccination status.
At this time, YMCA Staff will continue to wear masks/face coverings.
Health & Safety Procedures will continue, including:
- Enhanced Cleaning Protocols
- Reservations for designated programs or areas of the YMCA
We ask that you please refrain from visiting the YMCA when not feeling well, regardless of vaccination status.
At The Gateway Family YMCA, the safety of our children, members, residents and Y staff continues to remain our highest priority. We value your support and assistance in providing a safe environment for all.
As we have throughout the pandemic, we will continue to follow all required State, CDC, Health Department and Licensing guidelines as they continue to evolve. We will communicate changes with members as they occur.
We thank you for being part of our Y!
We’ve been carefully reopening our facilities and reactivating key programs in the safest manner possible, so you can access the services and support you miss and need the most. We’re doing everything possible to ensure our facilities meet the highest standards for health and safety, and we have modified our procedures, programs and facilities to promote safe social distancing practices.
We are keeping the health and safety of our members and staff at the forefront of all decisions. Therefore, we have made adjustments within our facility and to our guidelines for use based on guidance from the Governor’s office, CDC, licensing and the local health department.
We are one Y – All members of The Gateway Family YMCA are welcome to utilize the branches, programs and services throughout our Y. For updated program schedules, please monitor our Virtual Wellness Page, Schedule Page or Mobile App.
Learn More about cleaning and safety procedures
Please Note: Some procedures have changed since this video was created (in July 2020). This page provides the most updated information.
- We are putting our Members First – You feedback is important to us – Please check your email for member surveys! We’re Listening!
- Our Members are Welcome to Bring a Guest – Guest usage will be permitted following our normal procedures – A guest must always be accompanied by an active full member of The Gateway Family YMCA.
- Active Nationwide YMCA Members are welcome to visit The Gateway Family YMCA for Fitness Center/Strength Training/Weight Room Use Only. (Nationwide Members will be excluded from classes, swimming pools and basketball gymnasiums at this time).
- We are one Y – All members of The Gateway Family YMCA are welcome to utilize the branches, programs and services that are open and operating during each phase of our reopening plan. An active, Full Privilege Membership is required.
- Reactivate My Membership! If your membership was on temporary hold or you cancelled within the last month, please use this form to REACTIVATE MY MEMBERSHIP
- Join the Y! If your membership was cancelled, or you are new to our Y CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE Y
- Communication with our Members and Community is very important to us! Please SIGN UP FOR EMAIL UPDATES
- No Contact Check-in
- Please have your YMCA Membership Card or Mobile App ready to scan as you enter the facility. Check-in will be self-serve; Please pause a moment for Y Staff to acknowledge your access.
- If you have forgotten your Membership Card, please stand where indicated and verbally assist our staff in recording your visit.
- No Contact Member Services
- To limit interaction at our Welcome Center, our Y is practicing a Digital First strategy.
- All registration and payments should be completed online at tgfymca.org.
- Please limit your time at the Welcome Center by calling ahead to ask any questions. If we are busy assisting other members, please leave a message.
THROUGHOUT THE FACILITY
- Social Distancing, minimum of six feet, is required throughout the facility.
- Please follow all directional and safety signage, Y staff directions and all posted guidelines.
- Members are asked to remain in designated areas. Parts of the facilities may remain closed based on government and health department guidelines.
- High touch areas will be disinfected regularly throughout the day.
- Some equipment will not be available to allow for social distancing and disinfecting procedures.
- Participants must disinfect equipment before and after use.
- Participants must wash/sanitize hands before and after working out.
- Y staff will be stationed throughout the facility to assist with disinfecting equipment and to answer questions regarding new guidelines.
All Staff, Members and Vendors who are unwilling to comply with the Y’s COVID transmission prevention measures will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
To ensure members’ health and safety, as well as enjoyment of our facilities, we will continue to review and update these guidelines regularly to remain in line with federal, state and local guidelines.
Our YMCA continues to reopen services, following strong safety procedures for social/physical distancing and individual activities.
All members of The Gateway Family YMCA are welcome to utilize the branches, programs and services that are open and operating during each phase of our reopening plan. Information below will be updated as information changes, please check back often and SIGN UP FOR EMAIL UPDATES
For a Quick View Chart of Current Amenities, please review the top of this page!
OUR INTENTION IS TO PROVIDE
- Housing and Social Services will continue to be provided 24 hours/day through the Elizabeth Branch and Dudley House Veterans Transitional Housing Program in Plainfield, NJ. For those in need of emergency shelter, please contact NJ 2-1-1. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED HOUSING & SOCIAL SERVICES INFORMATION
- Virtual Programs and Services through YOUR VIRTUAL YMCA, including LIVE Group Exercise Programs, Chronic Disease Programs, Enrichment Activities, Youth Wellness Programs, Virtual Summer Camp and Virtual WISE Services Program will continue to be provided. All Active Full and Virtual Members are eligible to participate in Virtual Programs and Services. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED VIRTUAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
- Virtual Y in My Account provides ON DEMAND access to The Gateway Family YMCA recorded Group Exercise Programs, as well as additional recorded program content for Full Privilege Members only. CLICK HERE TO ACCESS VIRTUAL Y
- Virtual WISE Center Program is available, with online registration required for this monthly program for members and caregivers. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED VIRTUAL WISE CENTER PROGRAM INFORMATION The WISE Center Branch will continue to provide Virtual services at this time, due to the vulnerable population served.
- Outdoor Group Exercise Programs have been provided in multiple locations throughout our YMCA since early July. Outdoor Group Exercise Programs have been offered at the Elizabeth Branch, Rahway Branch and Wellness Center Branch. All Active Full Privilege Members, Ages 12 & Up are eligible to participate in Outdoor Group Exercise Programs, unless otherwise noted. (Anyone under the age of 18 requires a guardian on premises). No Registration is Required. First Come, First Serve.
- Indoor In-Person Group Exercise Programs are available with capacity restrictions at all branches. All Active Full Privilege Members, Ages 12 & Up are eligible to participate, unless otherwise noted. (Anyone under the age of 18 requires a guardian on premises). Most programs are first come, first serve. Please review the schedule. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SCHEDULES PAGE
- YMCA Child Care Services have been provided since early July 2020, with limited availability at the newly renovated Youth Development Branch, 16-20 Jefferson Avenue in Elizabeth, which is a stand-alone facility providing only child care services. Child Care Services are also available at the Five Points Branch, located at 201 Tucker Avenue, Union. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED CHILD CARE INFORMATION
- Wellness Access or Fitness Center Use is available at the Wellness Center Branch, Elizabeth Branch and Rahway Branch during YMCA Branch Hours. Weight Room Access is available at the Wellness Center Branch and Rahway Branch during YMCA Branch Hours. Free Weight Access is available in all 3 locations listed. We have expanded our services and moved equipment throughout our branches to allow for additional use and social distancing. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED WELLNESS ACCESS INFORMATION
- Adult or Family Lap Swimming is available at the Rahway Branch and the Five Points Branch! No reservations are required; usage is first come, first serve based on the posted schedule. The Rahway Branch indoor pool is a 6 lane, 25 yard pool, allowing us to accommodate additional members throughout the day. The pool area has newly installed HVAC system to maintain air quality and comfort. The Five Points Branch indoor pool is a 4 lane, 25 yard pool. Adult or Family Lap Swimming is open to active full members, minimum age of 12.
- Private Swimming Lessons, Group Swimming Lessons, Parent-Child Swimming Lessons, Semi-Private Swimming Lessons, Private Pod Swimming Lessons, Swim Team Stroke Clinic, Water Aerobics and Water Exercise programs are available at the Rahway Branch and the Five Points Branch! Register for an upcoming program session HERE. For more information CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED SWIMMING LESSON INFORMATION
- Open Basketball, Soccer or Pickleball hours are available at the Elizabeth Branch and the Five Points Branch! Usage is first come, first serve based on the posted schedule
- Personal Training is available at the Wellness Center Branch, Rahway Branch and the Elizabeth Branch. At the Y, our Personal Trainers are here to assist you in reaching your wellness goals. Whether you are just beginning your wellness journey or you are ready to reach new heights in your workout, using a YMCA Personal Trainer is a great way to get results and stay on track! Our dedicated staff work with you to provide the direction, accountability and motivation you need to succeed. Your Personal Trainer will design your unique workouts and share new forms of training under a watchful eye, while challenging you to be your best. Invest in your health with a personal trainer today! REGISTER HERE
- Summer Day Camp information will be available soon for Summer 2022! We look forward to seeing you next Summer!
- Before and After School Care 2021/2022 Information: View Information and Register HERE
Our YMCA branches are open, based on government and health department guidelines. All members of The Gateway Family YMCA are welcome to utilize the branches, programs and services.
Our Y is OPEN 7 Day a Week for Member Access, Programs and Services! Members who placed their membership on Temporary Hold were reactivated as of August 6, 2020 and April 6, 2021. Please check your email for important communications from the Y.
The Y isn’t a building. It’s people from all backgrounds and walks of life who come together to improve their lives, nurture their families and strengthen our community, together.
The Gateway Family YMCA has served our community for 120 years. We will continue to engage and serve all people where they are, including through virtual opportunities and outreach services for those who continue to practice social distancing and those who need special support during these challenging times.
We’re so happy to welcome you back! Together, we’re a better us.