WISEConnect combines health and wellness opportunities with supportive activities to keep members age 50+, and individuals with cognitive impairments or other functional challenges cognitively stimulated, physically active, and social engaged.
Weekly hybrid (in-person and virtual) activities range from games, puzzles, discussion, and arts (journaling, storytelling, painting, poetry, music, movement) to group exercise (cardio, yoga, resistance, balance, & flexibility). WISEConnect program registration includes the WISE Cardio Jam program, and participants will automatically receive Engage WISEly daily email newsletters.
Brain & Body
Research clearly shows that individuals diagnosed with early-stage dementia can slow their physical, mental, and psychological decline by actively participating in regular exercise programs. With that in mind, WISEConnect offers the following opportunities:
- Ongoing support from certified fitness specialists
- Twice weekly cardio and strength training exercises
- Exercises focusing on balance and flexibility
- Opportunities to engage in Y programs such as yoga, Zumba®, Tai Chi, and meditation
Cognition & Creativity
Another important component in cognitive health and wellness is regular involvement in opportunities that use the brain, often in unique and imaginative ways. These include:
- Cognitively stimulating games, puzzles, discussions, and other activities presented at each session
- Arts programming including sessions on journaling, drama, poetry, painting, music, and movement
- Educational activities and events on topics including legal and financial planning, healthy living, medication use, home safety, community resources, and cultural activities.
Possibly the most important element of the WISEConnect program is the chance to join with others who are experiencing the same challenges. WISEConnect provides:
- Opportunities for socialization and just plain fun for WISEConnect members
- Special education and support programs for care partners
A Full Privilege YMCA Membership is required to participate for in-person WISEConnect. Please check with your health insurer for participating programs or reimbursement options that may be available for YMCA Membership. We participate in SilverSneakers, Renew Active, Medicare OnePass, United Healthcare Fitness Reimbursement and Horizon B Fit. YMCA Financial Assistance is available. Join Now